Wednesday, September 2, 2015

General Tso Chicken




















So, second to Mexican our next favorite cuisine is Asian. I usually stick with a stir fry or noodle dish, but I’ve been wanting to try a General Tso variation. I love General Tso, but I hate how it’s so bready at the restaurants. Below is my take that Scott and I devoured in seconds, well maybe minutes, we were using chopsticks and all. By now you’ve realized, we like big portions, so this makes about four or maybe only three. HAH!

Ingredients:
  • 1lb raw chicken, cut bite size (I used chicken tenders because that’s all I had, since I mistakenly bought tenders instead of breasts at Costco, fail)
  • 2 egg whites
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 ½ cups snow peas, ends trimmed and cut in half
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced, pole to pole
  • ½ medium white onion, thinly sliced, pole to pole
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (use more or less for the heat that you want, I used more than 1 tsp.)
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • ½ cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. EVOO
  • 2 cups Jasmine rice, dry
Directions:
  • Cook rice as directed.
  • Mix water and 1 Tbsp. cornstarch until incorporated. Add garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and then all veggies. Mix and set aside.
  • Heat EVOO in large pan (I used a large wok style pan) on medium high heat. 
  • Mix remaining cornstarch, egg whites, salt and pepper until smooth. Add chicken and mix to coat.
  • When oil is heated, drain chicken and add to pan. Make sure to keep the chicken separated or all the breading will stick together and be one big piece of chicken. Cook until browned and crispy, about 8 minutes total. Remove from heat and set aside.
  • Change heat to just high. Give veggie mix a good toss and then add to hot pan. Cook constantly stirring for about 3 minutes just cooking the veggies and thickening the sauce. 
  • Remove from heat and add chicken. Carefully stir to coat chicken and veggies evenly.
  • Serve over white rice or whatever rice you chose to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment