Monday, January 18, 2016

Eastern Market Jalapeno Cheddar Brats with Carmelized Onions, Brussel Sprout Salad, and Baked Potato


Well, I finally was able to drag Scott down to Eastern Market... and luckily we found these brats at one of the meat counters, because I think I may have converted him to being open to going with me more often if it means brats and meat sticks haha.

Then Saturday night, we checked out the Huron Room downtown and since I love Brussel sprouts, I ordered their Brussel sprout salad to go with my fish and chips... which by the way, even though it was a decently long wait, my perch fish was pretty damn delicious! I loved the salad so much that I decided to try to make a copy cat of it. I used slightly different ingredients so to make it a tad easier but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

For the brats, I boiled them for about 15 minutes and then browned them in the cast iron pan that I used to make the caramelized onions. To make the caramelized onions, I sliced one medium onion and sautéed with 1 Tbsp of butter and seasoned with salt and pepper. It took about 15 minutes over medium high heat for the onions, so it was pretty perfect timing.

As for the Brussel sprout salad, which makes about 8 side servings, here's my version below:

Ingredients:
Main salad
  • 1/2 pint Brussel sprouts; sliced (I did this by hand because mandolins scare me and my slicer attachment on my food processor wasn't working)
  • 2 green onions; sliced on the bias
  • 1 small fennel head; thinly sliced into strips (I did this by hand as well)
  • 1/4 cup fennel greens (those bushy looking things that sort of look like dill weed)
Lemon Vinaigrette
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (I had to use half fresh and half bottled because I didn't have enough lemons left)
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp died parsley
  • 1 tsp black pepper
Directions:
  • Combine all the ingredients for the main salad and mix well.
  • For the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients and shake well to incorporate everything. I have a dressing container that I used. The dressing will last for about a week or two in the fridge, but the oil/cheese will usually solidify, so you'll need to bring it to room temp or warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before use.
To serve, add the vinaigrette and mix well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment